Oh, Pretty Woman

There are some jewels on my I-pod, of course. The other afternoon, while typing work reports, Roy Orbison's Oh, Pretty Woman came on.

I can remember where I was the first time I ever heard the song. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was about 11 or 12 years old. Dad had a state-of-the-art record player that came out of the wall. We were encouraged not to ever touch it.

But this day, Dad was spinning a few records.

"Listen to this," he said.

And I did. Mostly because it was a song that was a story. The narrator (Orbison) was extremely interested in the pretty woman who was evidently just walking back and forth in front of him. She was taunting him with her walk.

That much is real plain to see.

I can remember getting antsy as my Dad sang along. I remember thinking the part where Orbison says, "Mercy!" was cool.

I still think that.

I must have drifted a bit because on that day long ago, Dad told me to pay attention to the conclusion of the song.

What do I see? Is she walking back to me?

How could you not be happy for Orbison?

The girl that he was pining for had noticed him and she turned around and headed back to make a connection that we assume, from the giddy sound of Roy's voice, that was all that he ever wanted or needed.

I remember making Dad play the song again.

36 years later it's on my I-pod.

I still feel good for old Roy when she turns around and heads back towards him.

Love's like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty