Post # 1,500 - Oh the Humanity

I never imagined that I'd get to 1,500 posts on this blog, but like everything else, I worked it into my schedule and then sort of obsessed about doing it, not really caring about how it was received, but trying to enjoy the process.

Sometimes it's a bit of a drag as I wonder what the hell to say. Sometimes I wonder why I say what I said, and sometimes I just hope it's funny. I don't purposely set out to piss off any particular party of people.

But it doesn't bother me if I do.

Sometimes I take to the keyboard to convey sincere love, pain and hope. Sometimes, I'm really, really pissed off.

It's disconcerting to me that it is my starting point for the 1,500th post.

I am nauseated by the Penn State situation.

Not the crimes so much....mental illness will always be around...horrible, but basically unsolvable.

Especially when it is allowed to fester.

And make no mistake, it was allowed to go on. People knew. The man was reprimanded. He was still allowed to roam the campus. Word never leaked out because it was going to cost money. Millions of dollars. Reputations would be ruined.

The second thing about it that really bothers me is the reaction. Fans were cheering for the coach. He didn't do it. He only knew. Regardless, he should not be cheered. Never, ever. Not on a train, not on a boat, not in a car, not with a goat. Never.

Fans should not be chanting "Beat Nebraska!"

The team should not be allowed to finish the season.

It's that simple.

And if the world was right, it would stop. And save me the innocent until proven guilty. He was reprimanded years ago and promised to stop showering with little boys. He admitted the abuse and said he hated himself to the mother of one of his victims.

That is public record.

So, why am I so upset?

Because it is a microcosm of the world we live in. It's smack dab in the center of my life and in my life, I've decided to write, for myself and for those I love. I can't let it go.

We are in a mess. We are collectively a country of people who have lost their way. We pay millions to CEO's who don't earn it. We pay hundreds of millions to sports stars. We cheer for celebrities who have stolen our money and committed crimes, and we shrug it off, saying they deserve second chances.

We need new rules. If you can't behave, we will give you a second chance, but not a second chance to be a glorified millionaire. Blow it once...it's gone. Join the rest of us worthless slobs at the bottom of the pole.

We elect pedophiles, serial cheaters, guys who are accused of stealing, raping and harassing. We overlook it. We cheer for them because we all want to have our own little piece of celebrity action.

People go on television and act like idiots. People speak in public as if they are in the middle of a bar.

I'm not sanctimonious. I've certainly made mistakes, but I've never done some of the things these people have done and expect to still hear people cheering for me. When I make a mistake, I ask for forgiveness. I try my best to keep my mistakes to a minimum and I certainly couldn't live with myself if I had a raped child or two on my conscious...even if I just heard a whisper.

It would have been reported. I would have at least blogged about, cursed about it, and screamed it from my bedroom window.

Tomorrow I will most likely write a post about something light. Maybe the Yanks, maybe the dogs, maybe my love of family, or sunsets, or Judge Judy.

But today, I am sick of a lot of things.

People chanting for Tiger, Vick, Paterno, Mel Gibson...there are hundreds more...and will be thousands after this...

People stealing from people who can't afford to eat.

We need a moral center.

Right now, morality is just a rumor.

And that is aggravating to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie