Love & Happiness

Mellencamp wrote a song back in the 80's called Love & Happiness. The lyrics of the song pop into my head every now and again because things haven't seemed to change all that much. I think the song sort of hit me back then because I was just figuring some things out. It's a downer, but as I considered the Penn State deal, it kept finding its way to the front of my mind. JM doesn't offer a lot of answers.

Because there aren't any.

Love & Happiness by John Mellencamp

Well they're dropping their bombs in the southern hemisphere
And people are dying who live right here
And they're fighting wars in the name of peace
And they're killing each other in the middle east

Well love & happiness have forgotten our names
there ain't no value left in love and happiness.

They raised the price of oil and they censure our mouths
if you're a young couple today forget buying a house
we wage our wars in the neighborhoods
we kill the old to feed the young
and man that ain't no good.

Yeah but love & happiness have forgotten our names
and there's no value left in love and happiness.

So if you sell arms, or you run dope,
you got respect
and you got hope
But the rest of us die on your battlefields
with wounds that fester and bleed
but never heal

Love and happiness have forgotten our names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty