C'Mon Up! There's Room

We have a horribly mentally-affected dog. By all accounts, Paris is a wonderful canine, but if she were Mike Vick's dog...well, let's just say she'd have been disposed of by now.

The word for it is skittish. Paris runs from company. And I'm not talking about being a little shy. When my brother Jim was by, she was so afraid that we had to literally go outside and get her with a collar...two days later.

When I returned from the hospital I was on crutches. Paris' new phobia is crutches. They are near my bed now and she won't come up the stairs because they're in my room.

Right now, in the middle of the afternoon, with Bonanza on, a minor miracle has occurred. Paris is in the middle of my bed, just mere feet from the hated crutches.

And given the fact that I have a lot of time to think, there's a life lesson in there because you see, Paris really loves me.

Her love has conquered her fears.

We have a strange dynamic around our house when it comes to the dogs and it all stems from their love of me. Melky is unbelievably protective, not even allowing someone to approach me with the ice pack. Paris tries to be as close as Melky and me are, but those damn fears!

Regardless, its strange when I open my eyes in the morning...the love fest begins. Both dogs sit in front of me, or on top of me, begging for my affections.

"That's 'cause you smell just like them," my beautiful wife said.

Yet watching how the dogs react to love, security, and a stern word is interesting to me in that you can tell that they are like the rest of us.

They don't want confrontation or chaos in their lives. They want to be warm, fed, played with and loved. They don't want the fear of torn cartilage, or big bad crutches, or even strangers in their home.

As Paris lies on the bed, she lifts her head every few minutes to make sure that the crutches haven't started walking across the room.

For now, everything is all right. Love has displaced fear, and this episode is featuring Little Joe.

Life is good for an hour or so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty