And With Your Spirit

So, I went to church in North Collins on Saturday. Unfortunately, mass was in honor of Dad and Aunt Carolyn. It's awesome that the mass is said in their honor, but....ahh, you know.

Anyway, it was the first mass where they introduced the changes that the Catholic church is making. The Roman Catholic church has been hammered at all angles by accusations of molestation of little boys and the biggest changes they make, after all this time, is to change a few words in the prayers so that now those of us who went to chuch all of our lives shout out the wrong answers.

I tapped my brother-in-law on the shoulder as the changes were being announced.

"Is Jesus still the guy we're talking about here?"

"Yep," Chucky answered.

"Cool."

The first prayer where the changes were evident contained the word consubstantial. Quick, use consubstantial in a sentence. What the hell does it mean?

"That's not even a word," I mumbled.

"I smell a blog coming," Corinne said.

And I suppose it was inevitable. Why the changes? What's the difference if he says "Peace be with you," and we say, "And also with you," like we used too instead of with "And with your spirit."

Explain please!

Was it just a bunch of Cardinals sitting in a room saying, "Let's mess them up. Anybody know a really big word that no one has ever said before?"

"Consubstantial."

"What does it mean?"

"Who cares, they'll say it."

A few times during mass people shouted out the old answers. At one point the priest just kept saying the same thing over and over until he got the new answer...he got it from everyone but my brother, who having caught on to what the priest wanted...said the old answer again to make my boys laugh.

We'll catch on, I suppose. I may even know what consubstantial means real soon as I'm thinking of looking it up.

But as long as we are talking about religion, I must comment on Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers who said God told him, on the on-deck circle that he was going to hit a home run.

Why does God choose to only speak with certain people? And why didn't God tell Hamilton not to shoot drugs for ten years if they had a line of communication open?

Hamilton went on to say that God didn't tell him who was going to win the game.

Could that be because God doesn't really give a crap about a baseball game (that doesn't involve the Yankees)?

What does God's voice sound like?

How did Hamilton hear Him over the crowd?

Did God tell him that the outcome of the game was consubstantial to what else was going on in the world?

Not sure that is right, but it sounds good.

Peace be with you...

...and with your spirit.

Comments

Now why wouldn't you put the meaning of consubstantial in the post? You know people like me are going to waste time looking it up. Bah.
You actually did use it correctly in your sentence. . . :-)
Cliff Fazzolari said…
I know I used it correctly! But I definitely had to look it up first

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie