Lou Shaves My Leg

I don't remember them shaving my leg for the last knee surgery. I imagine that it must have been done, but it wasn't done before they knocked me out. This time, a very pleasant man came at me with the razor.

"How did you hurt your leg?" he asked.

"It's a long story," I said. "Originally, it may have been from playing my kid in hoops, but I beat him."

Lou took his razor out. He talked about the NBA. We were both a little uncomfortable. I'd never had a man shave my leg, or a woman either for that matter, and Lou probably did it before, but he wasn't thrilled I'm sure.

What to talk about in such a moment of intimacy?

Lou stuck to basketball until I told him I really didn't give a flying crap about the lockout and then we went to hockey and football. Lou hates hockey.

He moved the razor deftly and told me how bad hair is for infection during an operation.

There were others in and out. I tried my best to be cheerful, remembered to say thank you every time one of the nurses popped in. My beautiful wife is a nurse. Does it hurt to be nice to them? I told the one who took my blood pressure she was the best. When Lou was done shaving my leg - it was real smooth - I asked, "Who's better than you?"

Lou seemed a tad concerned.

I thought about the whole deal. A bunch of selfless people, right? Some of the things that those in that profession have to do. I mean who the hell wants to shave my leg?

Feeling better already...I had another tear in cartilage that was causing the problem after the repair of the last tear. There is most likely a cause for the second tear:

Stupidity.

So, this time, I will pay attention. Unfortunately self-knowledge only shows itself after we've completely screwed something up.

So, here we are.

Lou is probably helping someone else. I really hope he isn't writing a blog about having shaved my leg, but I'm glad he did it.

It's so smooth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie