Merry Mother of Muffins

In the family dynamic that has developed here in our home Sam has become the 'Carrie' of the unit. He's the guy everyone calls for when we need something done.

"Sam, get me a water."

"Sam, let the dogs out!"

"Sam, where's the remote?"

And it works nicely because like Carrie, Sam is always ready, willing and able to help. He's actually what makes the machine go around here.

So, to thank him, when a pair of hockey tickets became available, I grabbed them for Sam, and my niece. They headed to the game on Friday night.

A grand gesture and a big payback, but one aspect of my plan was not well-thought out:

I was going to be without Sam for the evening.

The leg sucks. At least this time I know that it isn't anything I can change. Having had it done six months ago I have a bit of insight. It's going to feel like a bowling ball is in there. Standing on it, or climbing a ladder for that matter, is not highly recommended.

So I won't be fooled again.

"Can you take this ice pack?" I asked my beautiful wife in the late afternoon. It was the white one. Sam wasn't there to put it away.

About 4 hours later Kathy and Jake joined me for a movie. During the movie I needed a water. I verbalized my needs.

"Grab me a nutty cone when you're up," my beautiful wife said.
"I'll have an ice cream sandwich," Jake chimed in.

"Sam!!!" I called.

We all laughed and Jake finally got up, moaning and groaning his way across the treacherous 30 feet to the kitchen.

"Grab the white ice pack," I said.

He came back with the water and the BLUE ice pack. The problem being, I had just put the blue ice pack back.

"The white one," I said. "Sorry, this one isn't cold yet."

Jake made a grand show of being put completely out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my wife grow a tad uncomfortable.

"Where the merry mother of muffins is it?" Jake cried out from his space in front of the freezer.

"Uh-oh," my wife said.

"Sam!!!!!!" I yelled.

Poor kid.

He's not going to any more hockey games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie