Disgusted...3 Days In


Making my rounds through a construction site today and it was bitterly cold...feet like a brick sort of cold with wind whipping through a building that had no roof. The man pictured above was working to demo a wall by swinging a sledgehammer, over and over and over again.

He stopped to catch his breath and I snapped his photo because he was working hard and actually dressed for the job.

"How's the new year going?" I asked.

"I'm thoroughly disgusted 3 days in," he said.

We both laughed, but who could blame the guy?

I tried to tell him it wasn't so bad, but he got to talking about the Bills and how all the players on the team are millionaires and how that wouldn't be a problem because everyone likes to watch football and the money is there...but...

"If I don't keep swinging this hammer like John Henry, they fire my ass. Ain't they accountable? Keep screwing up and they keep paying you millions anyway. Thoroughly disgusted."

The man reattached his dust mask, blew into his glove and started swinging the hammer again.

I seriously hope that the poor guy was half-joking, but I can see how he might be disgusted by it all. The cold days, working hard are a real hassle. Of course, every opportunity is available to us in this country, so if you don't like the job, change, right?

I hope that's still right. Does it seem all that possible these days?

"What're you going to do with the picture?" he asked as I headed away.

"I'm going to show your bosses that you were doing a good job," I said.

"That's good," he said. Before his face disappeared behind his dust mask, I saw the start of a smile.

Who knows? Maybe he will only be a little disgusted the rest of the day.

"You gotta' stop thinking about the Bills and all their money," I called back.

"You got that right!" he answered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie