Can You Be A Hero?

In the middle of every tragedy is a slice of heaven. On Saturday in Arizona men and women alike teamed together to subdue that crazy bastard. Thank God they did too because the death toll may have been even higher.

During 9/11 there were a number of documented heroes at the various scenes. Their participation may also have saved a number of lives.

So, it got me thinking. What way would you go in a tragic scene such as the one that played out in Arizona?

Would you run and hide? Would you take a stand? Would you be a hero even though it may cost you your life?

Listening to Howard Stern this morning as they discussed this topic, Howard said that he would be in full retreat. "Feets don't fail me now," was his actual quote.

When Robin asked if he would do anything if he were close enough to the gunman, he said, "I'd be shot in the center of the back. Obama would be praising everyone but he would also mention what a coward I was."

And I wonder.

"Feets don't fail me now," sounds like a reasonable reaction in such a life-threatening situation.

Then again, there is that daydream that started way back in grammar school when we put ourselves in harms way to save the girl from the burning building, the terrorist attack, the bully, and even though we get hurt, we are only hurt bad enough to get the sympathy and win the girl.

I like to think that I would run to the fray to help others. I am pretty confident that I could have been a part of the team that proclaimed, "Let's Roll," aboard the high jacked plane.

The unfortunate aspect of thinking about it is that the way things are going, we may all someday have to answer such a question.

Every two or three months, in the greatest land in the world, there are mass shootings such as these.

Makes me sick.

Makes me want to run the other way, and not trust anyone, and not believe in the goodness of people.

Where has humanity gone?

God help us all if we don't turn this thinking around.

Feets don't fail me now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie