Your First Thought

What is the first thing that you think of when you wake up in the morning?

I thought of that today because when my eyes opened today, before the freaking alarm again, I automatically started saying a Hail Mary. Sister Henrietta would be so proud, and I wondered about why I clicked that button as soon as the eyes came open.

During baseball season I often think about the Yankee result from the night before. Being that the Bills lose on a weekly basis, and that every single hockey game ends in some sort of tie before they decide it with a skills competition, I don't have that to concern me anymore.

Of course, my new reality is to say good morning to my brother and my Dad, but that usually brings a sense of resignation and defeat that doesn't exactly lift me out of bed.

Then the next thing that hits are the lists of tasks for the day....one thing after another, laid out before me in a to-do list that threatens to keep me cowering under the covers, but I always toss the covers aside.

They say that you should start your day with a happy phrase that allows for thankfulness that another day is stretching out before you. I don't know a lot of people that can pull that off.

Yet I do not wake up slowly like a few others in my house do. There are some who can't even form words until the coffee is poured. Matt moves like a zombie and 4 minutes out of bed he is watching sports highlights wrapped in a blankie as he sips his coffee. Kathy wakes with a real sense of purpose during the week, but isn't all there on a Saturday or Sunday until noon - even if she is out of bed at seven.

I don't know, just woke up thinking about all of it this morning, wondering if there is a phrase that I can employ to ensure that I am chirping like a bird when my eyes open.

Perhaps the opening lines of the Promised Land...

...ah well, thanks Sister Henrietta...Hail Mary works too.

Comments

Larry L said…
I remember Sister Henrietta very well. I wonder why, I don’t remember all my teachers?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie