The Promise

New Bruce today...well actually it is "old" new Bruce...songs that he set aside during the making of Darkness on the Edge of Town.

What gets me about it isn't the music, but the journey that I've been on since 1978 when I first heard Badlands at a buddy's house. Hooked on the first few notes...and the old familiar voice sounds just as good to me today, but it was wrapped in life...

Like riding in a car playing The River for my brother John - who up to that point, hated Bruce and then two years later picking up the Born in the USA album for the first time and listening John try to sing along with a song he never heard before. It wasn't good.

Like going off to college and listening to Bruce every free minute with friends who are among the greatest people I've ever met. Terry, Rosie, Gag, Fluff, George....song after song...album after album...everyone else begging us to listen to anything else.

Like going to the concerts...the first one with John and Tom...25 more with all the people who I've loved all my life. Standing side-by-side with my brothers, pumping my fist, seeing tears in their eyes as Bruce shouted Badlands. Crying hard through the last few concerts, missing those that were not there with me. Knowing that Jeff was watching from the best seat in the house...the one in my heart.

Sitting next to Kathy as she saw Bruce for the first time on the Ghost of Tom Joad tour...she'd just told me that she was pregnant with Jake, so Bruce talked of his kids and how much he loved being a parent. Of course, he did.

Having Kathy buy the act hook, line and sinker. A few months ago, I was listening to Leah from Devils and Dust.

"Do you think he's the greatest entertainer ever?" I asked.
"It's not even remotely close," she answered.

She's been a great companion for this part of the ride.

Picking up my copy of The Ghost of Tom Joad at midnight at the Media Play. Turning in line to see Jeff standing two people behind me, pissed that I'd have my album first.

Trading lyrics with my buddy Pops, to this day...finishing the lines for each other.

It's been a good day.

Hearing the awe in my sister's voice when she talks of Bruce and remembers us hoisting her high on her wedding day to Thunder Road...a ritual courtesy of Rosie that we perfected.

Seeing tears in my sister-in-law Dana's eyes when we brought her up to the close seats at the Darien Lake concert.

That's the Promise. The Promise Bruce made to his fans and delivered time and time again.

The only near-billionaire who earned every single cent of it.

My boys make fun of me now.

"He's old," they say.

"And I'm getting there," I answer, "And Bruce's been there every step of the way."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty