BREAKING NEWS!

George W.'s quote on the front of the USA Today is this:

"I could have done better."

You think?

Yet there's something way too compassionate about me because although I was never a fan of W. or W's father, or even W's mother...I felt bad for him as I read the article.

The reporter asked him if it bothered him that people made a mockery of him for being perceived, as they say, as a little less than intelligent.

I was uncomfortable for him, just reading the question. Put simpler it could have said: "Does it bother you that people think you're a dumb f$%$k?"

I don't think anyone should have to answer such a question, let alone a guy who won an election twice with about 40% of the vote each time and graduated Yale with a C minus.

Yet I was a real harsh critic. Perhaps, as W believes, he will be vindicated as time passes, but what I read of the book won't do it for me.

Of the revelations he said that some of his mistakes include:

1). Failing with social security.
2). Failing with immigration.
3). Failing with Health care
4). Failing to see that there weren't weapons of mass destruction.
5). Failing to recognize that there would be a financial collapse.
6). Failing to see that 9/11 might happen.
7). Failing to keep troops in Iraq after Hussein was captured.

I wonder how he can be vindicated after reading his own list of things he could have done better.

Here was how he succeeded - according to the book:

1). "I threw it right down the middle during the 2001 World Series."
2). "I finished reading that book to the kindergarten class when the whole country was falling apart."

All right, so maybe I don't feel bad for him after all. Maybe I will eventually read the book. Perhaps I will see him in a different light someday.

Maybe I can do better about better judging his presidency.

Bush says that once his book publicity is done he will slip back into oblivion.

Wasn't he always there?

Comments

Matt Snell said…
How bout listing some of the good things he did in office?!
Remember your feelings of 9/11 and how his stiff response won the respect of the world??? Easy to forget when all you do is focus on the negitives...
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Swift response has taken 9 years
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Swift response has taken 9 years

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie