Being of Sound Mind

Yesterday the question of leaving a last will came up. Now I don't know anybody who really wants to talk about such a thing, but in our family, given all that life has brought in the last couple of years, it is probably a responsible thing to do.

Well, Kathy and I will hopefully make an appointment soon to muddle through such a task so that there is a smooth transition for her when I collapse. Thankfully, I was smart enough to take a few life insurance policies years ago...so good start.

Not saying that it's coming anytime soon, but I do have to hand it to my beautiful wife, she has it nearly set up, financially-wise, so that I don't need to be present. Her only act left will be to clean out the twenty-three bucks I carry in my wallet.

Yet I kid with you. That is exactly how it should be and the level of trust is such that I don't even care that she has enough money to pack up the whole shebang and hit the road should I get stuck in a Jameson cloud.

She deserves that much...she was the one willing to put up with me.

Yet when I considered the making of a will there was precious little that needed to be said...I don't have a zillion dollars or a rare coin collection. Material things never mattered much unless you count my Yankee plaques or Bruce CD's.

Nah, what needs to be left behind and directed to the right places is the loving that was done here, and I sincerely say that I can leave that, being of sound mind, to the people who deserved it all of these years, and I have made it clear who they are through my life.

So, if I were to die sudden, beat Kathy to the wallet and the 23 bucks is yours, but also, know where I stand.

It's been a good time and I've lived hard, loved a lot, and filled every day with an awkward sort of grace that plays well in a bar room discussion.

What else can you say?

I'm sure the lawyer we go to will put a different spin on things for us.

Nice way to start thinking on a Monday morning, eh?

On the bright side...my nephew is making huge strides in his effort to get the hell out of that hospital bed.

That's what we really should be talking about.

Comments

Cindy Lehnortt said…
I am glad you mentioned your nephew & especially with encouraging news! Good to hear.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie