Let's Work!

Mick Jagger sang a song a few years back - 'Let's Work' - not Stones material by any means but I could listen to Jagger burp the alphabet he is so familiar to me.

That song has been sticking in my head for the last few days because I saw a 60Minutes piece about people being out of work for like two years - college graduates who were on extended unemployment in California and are just now taking jobs at much less than what they were making.

I have been fortunate and blessed to have not been out of work since I was 14 or so, and that is because I actually feel like I have to go to work. Some jobs have been way better than others, but I get up and go. No matter how I feel, no matter what aches, no matter if I feel I have vacation time coming or if I need to go to the doctor, or if I am fighting with someone at home, or if I am real happy or real sad. It's all I know.

Which brings me back to the 60 Minutes piece.

I see a lot of people in today's workforce who have something going on every day that keeps them from working as hard as they can. One of the foremen I was talking to today said that on his six man crew at least three are late, or leave early, or skip the day all together.

"It never used to be this way," he said. "But it seems now that everyone wants to run the company as soon as they sign up and if there is even a sliver of an excuse on why they can't be there, they leave for the day."

On election day, with a dropping economy, I am of the opinion that this is the reason for our downfall as a country.

Now I'm not saying everyone is lazy, but there is an element to the population that thinks like those in that crew, right?

Think about it...how many consecutive days would you miss if everything wasn't just perfect for you to go in?

Brett Favre is not a hero to me, but we all sort of shake our head in admiration when he plays with a busted ankle and after taking ten stitches to the chin.

We should all be doing that.

Let's Work!

I can see Mick singing it right now.

Comments

melaine said…
hey cliff. have read some of your things and really enjoy them. i am from north collins... libra. 3 kids... i have written some pretty good poems. how do i get them out there??? last name used to be hayden... your family knows mine. keep it coming. the world needs more writers like you. (melaine hayden payne).
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Hi Melanie...send me an email...cliffordfc@roadrunner.com...we can talk. Thanks for reading along. Of course I know the family. Keep writing

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie