Pusification

Was talking to a co-worker who had a beef with another man.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Oh, I sent him a strongly worded text," he replied.

Really? A strongly-worded text? Is this how we have evolved?

Years ago, you would have kicked his ass, whipped his ass, harassed his wife and children, kidnapped his dog, humiliated him in public, swore at him, sent him a horse head for his bed.

Something.

I call it the pusification of America. Don't eat too much. Don't drink that or you'll grow wings on your feet, no eggs, go easy on the carbs, lay off the red meat...no smoking, swearing, cursing.....blah, blah, blah, blah blah....

I often think of my father and grandfather in situations like those mentioned above. Their philosophy of life was not to take any crap from anyone and to never wish you said something to someone who you feel treated you poorly.

My grandfather told the local doctor that the best thing about his practice was that it was next-door to the funeral home.

"You treat 'em, they bury 'em," he said.

Grandpa didn't know what politically correct meant.

"Don't ever trust a man who won't have a drink with you," my father once told me.

I thought of this once in a job setting when a guy refused my offer to grab a beer.

Dad was right, the guy was a dink.

I don't know - I think of John Wayne in all those old Westerns...a man's man. A tough guy. Shot of whiskey. Fist-fight. Visit a whore. Finish getting drunk. Apologize to no one. Fight for the honor of the whore when the bad guys show up. Drink with the bad guy. Shoot him between the eyes.

Not anymore...

Now we bash the bastard with a tweet....

What would Grandpa say to that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie