Oh Brother! Not Another Edit

The new book is about 30 days out, and even though I knew there was a possibility that I would have to go through the text again, I was sort of hoping I might miss it.

Of course, that was not possible. There will most likely be one more read-through as well.

What is the purpose of it all? Not to change content at this stage of the game, but to do that maddening grammar dance. Let me tell you, I am no grammar expert. Like everyone else, I absolutely hated those exercises in school, but I know how to do it, a little bit...nothing like my editors though.

A book edit is a strange thing because as the author you are naturally defensive. Your initial reaction is to try and discredit the editor straight off. You see the red marks and read the comments, and you feel like the dumbest human being on the planet.

Then the edit begins, and instead of reading and riding the wave of that creative flow, you're looking at your consistent mistakes over and over again.

Why can't I understand the use of the serial comma?

Did you know that you can use it or not use it, but that you must be consistent in the use? Did I just use it in that sentence?

Regardless, it is absolutely maddening.

So, why am I writing this blog instead of finishing things up?

Because I know I'm close and that the manuscript will go out in tomorrow's mail. Kathy and the boys have allowed me to sit in the room, working, miles away from any real thought about what is going on outside these walls. It will be done.

Then next week, I will read it again and never ever read it after that.

Then some smart ass will come up to me at a signing somewhere and let me know that I should never substitute an en dash for an em dash when I am preparing a quotation.

Oh, one other thing, did you know that Dumpster is a copyrighted item and must be capitalized?

I had used the sentence...Jeff took a leak behind the dumpster as I chided him about not taking chances...I had to change that to Jeff took a leak behind the Dumpster as I chided him about not taking chances.

Maddening.

Back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie