The Wisdom of Mike Tyson

I was listening to a sports show that had a 1980's theme to it. On the show they were speaking of the great sports stars of the decade and they were also playing music. Blondie and Olivia Newton John had number one hits in the 80's - God, I'm getting old.

Yet the quote of the day came from Mike Tyson. The announcers were speaking of Tyson just hammering opponents and ruling the heavyweight division with absolute rage. Michael Spinks had been a serious contender to Tyson's title in those days and I can remember paying good money for the pay-per-view event.

Tyson knocked Spinks out in less than a round. After the fight he was told of Spinks' plan to beat him, and Iron Mike said - "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

I remember Spinks' eyes rolling around as he hit the canvas. I remember being disappointed because I had wanted someone, anyone to beat Tyson - of course we all know how that played out.

Anyway, I couldn't get the quote out of my mind for the rest of the day.

I had a plan until I got punched in the face. Now those things don't seem to matter quite as much anymore. Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Spinks quit fighting. The punch he took knocked him clear out of the heavyweight division. He didn't have any more plans and he retired into relative obscurity.

Here's hoping the punch in my face doesn't leave me on the canvas. Thankfully the show concluded with a verse of Let's Get Physical by Olivia Newton John and I didn't stay down too long.

Comments

deafjeff said…
It's a family site so I won't ask about staying down and Olivia.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie