Emergency Meeting

Happy Hour is a strictly American concept. I don't normally attend anymore, but a couple of my buddies and I have decided that when we get too down about losing Jeff (the gang-leader of many of our meetings) we can call an emergency meeting at one of the watering holes. Yesterday, I set the ball in motion. Here's the conversation through the magic of text-messaging.

Me: Meeting? 3PM?
Chris: I'm ready now (it was a few minutes after 9 AM).
Me: Gather the troops.

Five hours later.

Me: We on?
Chris: We should have perfect attendance.

Started it with Jamesons and a Heiney Light. Got a call from Kathy about an hour in.

Kathy: Where are you?
Me: Emergency meeting.
Kathy: I hear Mike in the background.
Me: Yep, he's in attendance.

Five hours later than that, Kathy and I were the center of attention at a party where college-aged kids were gathered. We were tossing ping-pong balls at a stack of cups filled with beer. We were being ridiculed as being old.

Believe it or not, I gave a little back - and my wife who was seemingly raised in a bar - couldn't miss the cup in game 1 - I took over after that and game after game we sent the kids packing - whipping five straight sets of them as they laughed at the old man and his wife. I made fun of their music, their dress, and the fact that I was already a rehab candidate before most of them were born.

On the way home, we listened to Bruce, and I sang along - the emergency meeting had worked.

Until this AM that is - youth is wasted on the young.

Comments

John said…
Sorry I missed it
Jeff R said…
I may not be able to send a text, but I still can receive one. Please send me an application to get on the emergency meeting call list.
Larry L said…
I wish I was there, I toss ping pong balls at cups a little better than my wife.
Just had a tourney at my house last week. Wish I lived close enough to be on the emergency meeting list - I'd have called it tonight!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie