New York, New York

It's always exciting for me to visit New York City and Kathy feels much the same way. The hustle and bustle of it all is entertaining at every turn - and this time, we decided to take Matt along, of course.

Matt is a Buffalo-lover - and hates everything about every other city. He was dead-set against loving anything about New York because he loves the underdog, and New York City is filled with over-dogs.

With all of that being said I was sure that he would be in awe of the place - it is hard not to be taken in by the surroundings.

Let's just say - he's 16 years old and is already closed-minded about it.

At the Statue of Liberty he listened to his I-Pod. As he looked out at it I saw him texting feverishly - or so I thought - "Who you texting?" I asked, figuring he was excited by the site. "Actually, I was playing Tetris," he said.

At Rockefeller Center I made him read the proclamation written on the dedication plaque. "Cool," he said.

In Central Park he reminded me that Buffalo has Delaware Park. On the subway he commented only about the couple of rats he saw.

We took him to a dinner prepared by a top chef - he made a comment about not getting dinner from Mickey D's - but I noticed that he ate everything but his napkin. (More on that meal later).

He nearly walked into traffic, damn near fell into a basement, and crinkled his nose at the site of the homeless. He complained about all the damn people, and the endless noise of the sirens. He glanced at the big buildings, but didn't seem overly caught up in it.

At Times Square I reminded him that it sort of reminded me of Buffalo and he said, "I see the similarities."

In the end, however, the NBA Store really got to him. It was the one place where he actually looked to be on the verge of tears.

And yet, deep down, I know how much he appreciated it. I know that it will be a trip that he will never forget, even if Jeter ruined his time at the Stadium.

"Thanks for the trip," he said as he put his earphones in and tuned us out on the plane ride home.

"By the way," I said. "Stay away from me for the next three days or so, I had enough of you."

He laughed and so did I. They were three days that will last for a long time - and we all knew it.

Comments

Larry L said…
These are the memories that last a lifetime. I have a few of my own with my kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie