After Further Review

Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor has pretty much made it through the grueling process of having her life scrutinized at every angle. I don't really care, or know very much about it, one way or another. It's the process that I find intriguing.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have every sentence that you've ever uttered read back to you in the search for an explanation? I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't make it through the first three questions, and most of the people I know wouldn't be able to pull if off either.

Who among us hasn't done something insanely stupid or said something completely out of character? Who hasn't wished that he could pull back the words that just left his mouth?

I suppose that Sotomayor must be an all right person, but that just isn't the point. How do you not get defensive when someone throws your past back into your face?

I know that some day there will be a great judgement and all past sins will be reviewed, but I can allow that to happen if there's a Supreme Being doing the judging rather than some old codger in the House or Senate who'll most likely get busted on some disgusting charge in a few weeks.

Wasn't it Sanford who beat the drum loudest when Clinton was found to be a cheating husband? What was Sanford recently in the news for?

The point being - no one can actually withstand the scrutiny. Years ago there was an Albert Brooks movie called Defending Your Life and in it he had to retrace his steps and explain why he did what he did - his eternal resting place depended upon his answers.

It was typical Albert Brooks and the concept was certainly interesting. Perhaps if everyone lived their life knowing that there would certainly be a day of atonement, we'd have a more peaceful go of things here on this planet.

In the end, I can see my judge looking down his nose at me and ask me what the hell I thought I was doing during those college years.

Hopefully those frat party experiences will be graded on a curve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie