What're You Gonna' Do?

Twenty days into July and we're still waiting for some sort of weather that reminds us of summer. I wish I had a dime for every complaint I've heard - most conversations of the sort end with the question - What're you gonna' do about it?

The answer, of course, is nothing.

I've spent most of the year praying for acceptance. There are so many questions shrouded in the guise of life's ultimate riddle - each question is answered with the "I give up" phrase of "What are you gonna' do?"

The economy sucks and we all have some sort of answer that we're willing to spout off, mostly in an effort to find some blame - It was all because of Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter of Reagan or Obama - round and round we go - our words reminding us that there's not a lot we can do to solve the problem.

There is always plenty to fret about - most of the time we aren't going to get anything productive done if we worry about what can't be changed. I think of George Costanza's father screaming - "Serenity Now!" - and it always makes me smile.

Serenity isn't an easy thing to achieve - even on a quiet day - without life throwing you a 12 to 6 curveball that can't be hit. There are so many things that cause us to shrug our shoulders and mumble...what're you gonna do?

It's quite early in the morning - I hear that same bird outside my window who sings no matter what the hell his new day will bring. I find that bird annoying, but today I feel like taking on his tune.

In all likelihood there will be a little crap to deal with today - hopefully it stays somewhat manageable and I'll be able to move forward, in full acceptance of the fact that I can't make the sun shine. I can't make people behave the right way. I'm probably not going to find a bag full of money, and my back and neck will bark a bit.

I believe that bird sings because she appreciates the fact that she's still here and that a new day is breaking. (I'm figuring it's a she - I can't see many males singing for no reason).

So that's what I'm gonna' do today - you with me?

Serenity NOW!

Comments

Larry L said…
I am singing already, good thing nobody can hear me.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty