Walking in Central Park

As I walked in Central Park I kept thinking of the Mick Jagger line from the song Miss You - you know, ... People think I'm crazy.

I suppose the draw to the park is the trees, right? Huge, beautiful trees in the middle of the concrete madness. It makes you appreciate nature, the beauty of the world, and on and on.

Yesterday a 33-year old guy was hit by a falling tree branch and critically injured. The poor guy was just relaxing, taking a deep breath, probably listening to his I-Pod, taking a stroll before work. The rotting branch, conked him on the head, and now he's fighting for his life.

These are the sort of things that I read that drive me absolutely crazy. The randomness of it all is almost too much to take.

There was another horrible story about the woman driving the wrong way down the Taconic Parkway - seven people lost their lives - she was a seemingly healthy woman who became disoriented because she wasn't feeling well. There were four children killed in the crash.

Does any of it make sense?

Another poor bastard was struck by lightning in the middle of a soccer game - the strike took all of his clothes off of him and killed him instantly. There were dozens of people playing with him and he gets plucked off the surface by the strike and no one else is hurt?

Besides? Taking the clothes off of him? That's a nightmare, right there.

My wife and I have a deal - if for some reason I'm naked when it happens, she has to dress me before anyone else shows up.

Day after day we try and make sense of things. Night after night it threatens to blow our minds. Anything can happen at any time to any one of us. Tree branches falling on a clear day. Lightning picking one out of a field of twenty. A wrong-way driver.

Time for a Bruce quote, I imagine (Jagger is great for the guitar riffs and beats, but the lyrics are a little strange on some of the tunes) - Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can and meet me in the dream of this hard land.

Comments

Rosie said…
I think the Beegees song would have been more appropriate than Bruce in this regard. Stayin alive, stayin alive, ah, ah, ah, ah, Stayin ah li i i ive

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie