Basketball Camp

My sons are off to camp to play basketball and there are a lot of advantages to the nearly week long event.

First and foremost they are preparing themselves for their inevitable careers in the NBA. How can they not make it? As a stud basketball player myself I often remind them that there were just a few factors that stopped me from making it as the next Pistol Pete Maravich.

They didn't ask what those factors were - so I didn't have to tell them that I couldn't run, jump, play defense, or show any court sense at all.

I did have a little advice for them - "Shoot every single time you get your hands on the ball."

Team concept? Nah, I was always into getting my points first - "There are no names in the newspaper for assists" I reminded them.

Yet, the three boys were completely different in their expectations. "I'm going to dominate," Sam said - all four feet eight inches of him. He strutted across the court to visit with Kathy and I, saying "They have to make me the point guard."

Point guard in a game of 9-year olds!

Then there was Jake - he played the entire game - and I can't watch him play and not marvel at the job they did putting him back together when he was sick - awesome to watch him run - and shoot - he shot every single time he got his hands on the ball - even making a buzzer beater. They were down a ton at the time, but it still went in. And he runs just like the old man - as if he's carrying a piano - and jump? Yes, mad hops as they say - he could clear a sheet of loose leaf paper left on the ground.

And finally, Matt - the kid has some skills - no doubt about it - he can run, shoot, rebound and he's nearly man-size - plus it is so great to watch him moving upright - and not eating us out of house and home as he does it. He can certainly garner up a ton of enthusiasm for basketball.

Finally, it also gives Kathy and I the run of the house for awhile - we had dinner together - and were free to speak of anything we wanted. We could run through the house swearing at the top of our lungs if we so choose to do.

Instead - we talked about the boys - and their NBA Dreams.

Dream big kids, dream big.

Comments

John said…
Very nice. Period.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie