First Place

The Yanks have been good this year - fun to watch and a good distraction to conclude most days, and last night they took first place from the dreaded Red Sucks. (Hi Frank).

So the telephone call would have come early today and we would have spoke about Mariano being a stud, Jeter's play from the other night, and the fact that Matsui should still be hitting more home runs. The trade deadline would've also been a topic, but I'm sure that this year we'd have agreed that they don't need a lot - just stay healthy.

Just stay healthy.

That's all there is to it,right? Eat right, sleep right, get a little exercise - it should be simple enough. Yet with the Yanks in first I was awakened this morning to the sounds of fire engines, police cars, ambulances - the whole army of services racing to a scene.

And I thought of two teenagers killed in the North towns when their car went off the road, and I thought of people everywhere this morning who are coping with the shock and dismay of real life and the fact that it is really quite difficult to stay healthy.

So where does it leave me this morning? Well, I scanned the sports, tried to get a glimpse through the keyhole where that ESPN announcer was undressing, read an article about the scandal Obama caused by wearing jeans to the All-Star Game, read about Lance Armstrong not winning his little bike ride, gave a pet to the dogs, wrote out the to-do list, and headed for the door.

I'm still chasing it, I suppose. Still working on a dream. Still punching the clock.

And the Yankees are in first place.

Deep breath. Off to work.

Staying healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie