Your Life is Now

I had a job that brought me close to my parents home, so I visited the job early and was pulling into their driveway at just about coffee time. It was a visit that was long overdue as being away on vacation kind of upset the usual routine. Their dog, Jeter, jumped on me when I opened the door, and my father poured me a coffee and offered to make some eggs.

I wasn't there to eat, however (believe it or not), I just wanted to catch up. My mother told me about her battle with the blood pressure pills and the gout in her foot. My father explained how difficult it was to mow the grass, clean-up the pool, and change out the new drapes. I felt a little guilty because I wasn't around enough to help out. Anyone who's ever heard Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin knows how I was feeling.

The conversation was light and I stayed for quite awhile even though I had other jobs to hit. We talked about the kids, how I was as a kid, the fact that someone in town asked about my new book, and the terrible rising price of everything. As I backed out of the driveway, I thought about how fortunate I am to have my parents around to share things with.

I also thought about the fact that my visit was a high point in their day. I thought about all of the things they'd done with their lives - their successes and failures - and high points and low points. I thought of the fact that time had to move much more slowly these days as there were no longer six children running around the house.

And I thought of the Mellencamp song and how my life is right now. These are the days when I am taking the light from my parents and holding it high for my children. All of the running around, and chasing things will eventually slow to a crawl and sooner than I think, I may be watching Sopranos reruns.

Whenever I'm around my parents I feel like a child, and that's because that is what I will always be to them. It is a comfortable role and one that I am content to play, but driving away, from a much too short visit, I had a million thoughts and ideas rattling around inside my heart.

Twenty-five years has flown by. Twenty-five more and it will be my kids lives in play, and I'll be hanging around with my dog and watching television. I sure hope my kids stop by to visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie