Man Versus Woman

We all know there is a real, true battle that is fought in this great nation on a daily basis. The idea for this blog came off of my post about Michael Phelps - a great college friend of mine responded saying that I should learn to relax and enjoy life a little - "Men get grouchy as they grow older," she wrote.

I must confess that I do get grouchy - I know my friend's husband too - and I know why he gets grouchy.

The thing is - I did respond - "Women are the carriers for grouchiness," I explained. "Men like to sit around and think about all of the golf they're missing, all the beer they've left undrank while they develop dish-pan hands, and fold the laundry."

I thoroughly enjoy sparring with my wife, my sisters, my sisters-in-law, and my old college friends about the great differences between men and women. Here are the distinct differences as I see them.

1). Talking about our day. I get up, go to work, come home from work, and try to read the paper - my wife says - "How was your day?" I say - "Great! and go back to the box scores.

My wife gets up, goes to work, comes home from work - and if I have the misfortune of asking her how her day was - she talks about her day until it's time to return to work.

2). Feelings- I'm not quite sure what it would take to hurt my feelings. I've never given it much thought. I can hurt my wife's feelings with one miss-directed comment about how we need to clean up a specific room.

3). Keeping an eye on the future. My wife has already scouted colleges for our 15-year old. She thinks about where we'll live when we retire, and how often she's going to babysit the grandchildren. When she asks me about the future - I usually answer with something about hoping that I'll have pasta again before the weekend.

4). Intimacy - women like to equate intimacy with love and security. Mention intimacy to a male and there is only one vision that enters the mind - I'm all for intimacy on a daily basis, by the way.

Anyhow - this blog is for my good friend - and her continued inability to understand the grouchy nature of men as we age. Always remember who is carrying this disease and presenting it to us on a daily basis.

Comments

deafjeff said…
AMEN brother! Of course with out them we'd all be dead by 50.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie