I Kissed a Girl

A new song, sung by a twenty-three-year-old, attractive woman- Katie Perry - goes something like this - "I kissed a girl and I liked it." (I just sang it - good thing you weren't near).

First off, it's impossible to get the lyric out of your head. Secondly, it conjures up images of two beautiful women, preferably around the age of 23 kissing at the bar while beer is flowing and people are sharing a good laugh.

My wife and I often talk about the lesbian fantasy that men share without really saying anything aloud. Kathy, of course, believes that I'm mentally deranged, but I have trouble understanding how she sees it as anything less than erotic.

Anyway, the singer of the song was on Howard Stern this morning. She explained that she had, in fact, kissed a girl, and liked it. She also explained that her parents - ministers by trade - were not exactly enamored with her lyrics.

The discussion on Stern reached the highs expected. The singer was entertaining and basically down-to-earth about the song and her soaring to number one.

I think of the fact that the Rolling Stones had to change the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together," to "Let's Spend Some Time Together," so that people weren't offended.

What offends us now? The "I Kissed a Girl" lyrics don't offend me. Yet there are people out there who have protested the gay aspect of the song. Which brings to mind the whole gay marriage flap. People who will never be affected by gay marriage are voting for or against a candidate based upon their stance on the subject. That makes little sense to me, but what can you do?

Shut-up and sing - I agree with Katie Perry - I kissed a girl and I liked it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty