Out of Focus

I sat down this evening to draft a blog and my wife, who requests that I write something every day, said: "Write a good one today."

I guess that I've been lacking a bit - I didn't think it was going so bad. She also supposed that I had to be running out of things to say. Like I told her, that'll never happen. So, with no pressure on me whatsoever...

My publisher requested photos of me for the promotion of House of Miracles. There is a big celebration of the people from the book to be held at the hospital on September 30th - I need to put my face on a few press releases and it reminded me of Springsteen and his cover for Born in the USA - he said that he stood with his back to the camera because his ass looked better than his face. I can't even do that - my ass is too big.

Yet it is often shocking to see myself in photos - I don't feel bald - but I'm told that I am. I don't feel old, but when I glance at the face staring back, I'm reminded that I need a stunt double. So, what is there to do? Hire someone as a stand in - like that Chinese girl who subbed for the Olympic singer?

I have a good buddy who learned photo shop and pulled a few of my face pictures off the Internet - he then proceeded to place my head in all different sort of poses. Here's Cliff with his prom date, here's Cliff in a bodybuilders pose, and most of all here's fat Cliff with an ugly date.

I can remember when it all changed for me - I graduated high school at 6' - 135 pounds - I came home from Freshman year at 6' - 196 pounds. My mother asked me who I was and why I ate her son.

Yet, I'm not the only one changing - every once in awhile I'll run into an old friend and I'll think - "Holy shit - what happened to you?" What I'll say, instead is - "You haven't changed at all."

So, I'm getting poised to pose for a few new photographs. The brilliant photographer at the hospital has a program where he can fill in bald spots, darken up my face, air brush away any lines or wrinkles and basically make me look like I did, say seven or eight years ago.

Perhaps I'll see if he can make my ass fit on the cover of the press release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie