County Fair

Walking around the fair always seems to present some real life lessons. First off, the cost of everything is completely out of whack with the real world - where else would you pay $3.00 for a glass of lemonade? Or $8.00 for a sausage sandwich that looks great, but turns out to be mostly bread?

Not that I'm complaining. The kids had a great time, running through the mazes as I held their prizes and drinks. Kathy was right behind them heading up the moving stairs, nearly falling on her ass as I laughed at her.

Then there are the games. I'm a dead-eye shooting basketball hoops, but the ball yesterday simply didn't fit in the basket. I eventually won a Yankee basketball but it cost me ten bucks.

Yet it's the walking around that's worth the price of admission. The carnival workers are fun to watch as they size up every woman that passes and bargain with the kids. It seems to me that the carnival dental plan isn't very good, but every job has its pitfalls.

I headed into the booth where they promised me a look at a four-horned goat, a two-headed raccoon, and the world's fattest man and tallest women. I'll save you the $6 that it took me to bring the boys around - it was a colossal disappointment.

Yet we walked for miles. We bought 8 pounds of candy, a blooming onion, a truckload of $3 drinks, a few chicken dinners, and a taco. We spent time with Uncle Chuck and Aunt Corinne and that was worth every penny to the kids.

We came home with a picture of John Cena, a Yankee basketball, a key chain (that cost about $25 at the push the token table), and all that candy.

What did it cost? A couple of hundred?

The county fair! On the way out, we thanked the lady for letting us park on the lawn for $5and then we searched for the car for awhile. The Fair's final game always has been - find the car.

See you next year - then again, Ted Nugent is performing tomorrow- I never heard Cat Scratch Fever live.

Comments

CorLeone said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
CorLeone said…
One must mention the Uncle Chuck's love of Pirate theme music and the pure enjoyment of Kathy's carousel ride...sure the boys wanted to do it...

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty