Let's Switch it Up

I was reminded today of a story that has always fascinated me. Back in 1973, two pitchers with my beloved New York Yankees made an interesting trade. Hurlers Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich swapped wives, and children.

You heard me right- a straight-up-deal, for real, way before that stupid wife swapping show. The two men not only traded wives and children, but their houses and pets too. The GM of the Yankees at the time said - "We may have to cancel Family Day."

The reason why the story is so fascinating to me is because of the motivations behind it. It was 1973 so I'm sure we're talking about a different mindset, but how does the conversation begin?

Peterson:"I really like your wife."
Kekich: "I love your wife."
Peterson: "And you have some great kids. God, I wish my kids were like your kids."
Kekich: "Huh, you can have them."
Peterson: "Really? How about the dog?"
Kekich: "You know, Fritz, I have an idea."

And how did it turn out you ask? I believe Kekich and Peterson's wife lived happily ever after. Peterson and Kekich's wife crashed and burned. I'm not sure the two pitchers remained friends, but if they had, it probably grew a bit uncomfortable for Kekich.

Peterson: "How's my wife, you bastard?"
Kekich: "Good, good - and your son is off to college this year. He's such a bright boy. How'd my kids do?"
Peterson: "Who knows? Your bitch of a wife kicked me out. The dog got hit by a car, and the freaking roof needs to be replaced. Want to trade back?"
Kekich: "Sorry dude, you got fleeced. Happens sometimes when deals are made. See if you can find another trade partner, I'm all set."

Seriously, you really must be reaching new lows if you're trying to trade it all in for what's behind door #2. Yet what Kekich and Peterson did isn't really that strange when you start reading about how people conduct themselves in their daily lives. Some men are comfortable trading their wives, kids, homes, and dogs for the stripper down the street.

As poor Friz found out, sometimes the best trades are the one's that you don't make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie