Spinning Our Web

Every morning I get up, head for the car and trudge off to work. Lately I've been noticing a spider's web in the spot between my driver's side window and the side mirror. Each day, I smack the web away, wondering about the spider that spun it. I can almost imagine the spider settling in each night and thinking - "The son-of-a-bitch knocked my house down again."

Well, the son-of-a-bitch got to wondering about the persistence of that spider - starting over each night and spinning the web to get into position. How long does that take, by the way? I mean I know Peter Parker can spin a web, any size to catch the thieves just like flies - but is it really that simple?

Which brings me to my point - sometimes life seems to go by slowly - a guy on one of the jobs asked me if it was 3:30 yet. (It was about nine AM). "Don't wish away time," I said.

"Geez, don't get all philosophical on me," he replied, "I just want to get home and have a beer."

Still, there are days that seem to be throw-away days of sorts, huh? It's dark, dreary and has rained off and on most of today. The long weekend is coming up, and I spent the day spinning a web, wishing that the weekend was already here. Yet figure it out - throwing away days isn't really smart- giving up hours isn't something that I like to do.

Given the life average - on the high end a man will get about 27,000 days to live. The first 3,000 or so are spent in basic oblivion, and we grow real tired about 10 or 12 thousand days in. Yet it pays to get up, start over, and work it time and time again.

27,000 days doesn't seem like a very long time - unless you're already thinking about that first beer just a couple of hours in.

It's 3:30 somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie