They Listened!

Through the years I’ve had to have some unpleasant conversations with guys who aren’t doing the right thing on construction sites.

One group that’s been a thorn in my side are the Amish. They’re a group who don’t normally work on commercial sites, and they live by their own set of rules, but when they venture into the real world they have to follow the federal guidelines.

A few years ago, I was loading stuff into my car at six in the morning. Someone tapped me on the shoulder!

I about jumped out of my skin, but when I turned around there was a young man, with a long beard, standing there.

“Aren’t you the safety guy?” He asked.

“Yeah, but what are you doing in my driveway?”

He pointed to the house across the street and told me that he was working on the roof.

“I got an osha fine. I recognized you.”

He showed me the paperwork - he was on the hook for about ten grand.

“I can make a call,” I said, “but you have to work safe from here on out.”

I was able to get his fine reduced a little but about six months after that meeting, he had guys in his crew…

…on a roof without fall protection.

I yelled at him.

He stood and took it and promised he’d fix it.

A couple of months later, I ran into his crew again. There was a very young man about 30’ in the air - zero fall protection!

I was infuriated!

“Dude,” I said. “Look around this project. Why does everyone have to follow the rules but you?”

I didn’t wait for an answer.

I just walked away.

So disappointed.

Cut to yesterday.

I ran into the crew and Lo and behold, the men on the rooftop were working…

…behind barricades!

I turned around, and the man who tapped on my shoulder in my driveway…

…the man I’d yelled at, and then walked away from…

…had a huge smile.

“Am I doing all right, now?” He asked.

The look on his face was of that of a kid who put his block in the right hole.

“You did it!”

I pointed to the kid who was 25’ in the air.

“He’s protected. Doesn’t that make you feel better?”

He nodded.

“So you aren’t mad at me anymore?”

“We’re good.”

I shook his hand.

Made my day.

His too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie