Maybe We Ain’t that Young Anymore

I was 30 years old when my Dad went into the hospital for treatment for kidney cancer.

I still felt like a little boy when I saw him in the hospital bed, and considered that he was way too young to be in such a predicament.

But he wasn’t. I was simply seeing him through the eyes of that boy that I was as I grew up.

The truth was that I was a fully grown man, and Dad was getting older.

I was scared.

I forgot about that feeling until this week.

Full disclosure here.

Kathy feinted on Monday, but felt okay immediately afterwards. Along with a few others, I convinced her to figure out why that might happen.

“Just get the tests,” I said. “It’s probably nothing, but let’s be sure.”

It turned out that it wasn’t ‘nothing’, and getting those tests saved her and us from a more serious outcome.

She’s sleeping soundly…

…finally home as I write this…

…and I’m thinking that maybe we ain’t that young anymore.

And of course, that’s a Bruce line from ‘Thunder Road.’

We aren’t the late-20’s people we were when we first met, and that’s a little nerve-wracking, but there’s another line in that song that I chose to dwell on as another long day came to a close:

“Show a little faith, there’s magic in the night.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie