Where Momma Hides the Cookies

The whole damn city was crying on Friday morning when news that beloved Sabres announcer Rick Jeanneret passed away at the age of 81.

RJ was a legend around these parts and we all have our favorite calls.

Personally, I recall the May Day goal when Brian May scored in overtime to beat Boston. I was living alone in an apartment building and RJ’s voice was played over and over all night long as everyone living in the city celebrated.

His knowledge of the sport and his ability to call a game was second to none and he loved Buffalo and the Sabres.

“And NO PENALTY CALLED!” Was what he’d scream if a Sabre was checked hard or tripped.

You could hear his hate for the ref coming through the microphone.

I ran into RJ a couple of times - one was in a hallway at a Sabres game in between periods.

His tie was loose, his face was beat red, and he looked exhausted, but the Sabres were winning so he was in a great mood. I offered to buy him a beer and he thanked me but refused.

“They give me all the beer I want.”

And we sat near him at a lunch table outside of Eddie Brady’s just last summer.

He was recognizable, but no one bothered him.

My boys sent me texts early on Friday.

“No one gets out alive,” I said. “Even legends eventually go.”

“The Sabres are just getting good again,” Jake said. “It’s too bad he didn’t get to see them win a cup.”

And of course all of Buffalo is in that boat.

Will the Bills win a Super Bowl?

Will the Sabres win a Stanley Cup?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

But, Buffalo fans did witness greatness.

RJ was a legend.

“Top shelf! Where Momma’ hides the cookies!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie