Love Should Teach You Joy

“There are things that can knock you down that you don’t even see coming.”

That’s a Springsteen lyric and I think of it almost instantly when I’m surprised by life and the tragedies it brings.

“Are you sitting down?” A friend asked at 6:30 on Monday morning.

And you told me some horrible news - a loss of a mutual friend - that made me think of the Bruce line.

And then I thought about my cat and our morning ritual.

Miller waits for me to sit on the edge of my bed to pull on my socks and he cuddles up next to me.

I let him know he’s a good boy and pet his ears and I think about the simple couple of minutes of connection and how that I bring him joy because he loves me.

It’s a routine deal and something I look forward to each morning, and while it sounds silly, those are the moments that happen that fuel our days.

On a larger scale, I drag myself up ladders and across roof decks because there are people depending on me, and while it isn’t always lovely…

…there are moments in each day that are.

And I think about - at age 59 - that time is becoming short - compared to that long, long, long road that was there back about 30 years ago.

Let love teach you joy.

Thought about that too.

Lost a friend yesterday.

Can’t truly figure it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie