Titanic Submersible

Caught up on reading about the horrific deaths of five people who were planning on viewing the wreckage of the Titanic in a submersible vessel.

First off, why did I never know that the Titanic sunk about 900 miles off the coast of Cape Cod?

I feel a little dumb believing that it happened somewhere far, far away - and nowhere near the Cape.

Secondly, how cruel are people now?

I mean five lives were lost. Those people had friends and family and kids and parents and dogs. They were loved and their lives were lost in a horrific implosion.

The complete lack of any sort of compassion just blows me away these days.

“Rich people getting blown to smithereens is kinda’ hilarious,” one moron wrote.

“I want to know why my tax dollars have to go to help rescue a group of rich idiots,” another man wrote. (His Twitter bio spoke of his deep love of Christ and his life of faith and love).

I think, through all of the angst of the past 7 years or so, the complete lack of compassion is what truly hurts my heart.

If you’re too poor - tough shit! We hate you!

If you’re the wrong color - you’re less than me! Get lost!

If you have a different view of Jesus other than the gun-toting, white, nationalist that some believe he is - then you’re going to hell!

I exchanged texts with one such ‘Christian’ man who tried to explain to me that Jesus would’ve hated immigrants taking over America.

I explained that:

1). Jesus didn’t know a single damn thing about America.

2). Jesus wasn’t a Caucasian man (he fought me vehemently on this point).

3). Jesus’ teachings were of compassion and love.

4). Jesus didn’t own a gun.

5). Jesus didn’t hate all non-white people.

The man I was texting answered my point-by-point text by saying:

“I feel bad for you man. You’re going to suffer on judgement day.”

And, exhibit one of this horrific lack of love and compassion is all encompassing in this particular story.

They didn’t deserve to die.

It isn’t comical.

Hopefully, the tide will turn. I recall a more compassionate populace.

Maybe I’m Mis-remembering it…

…how about it people over the age of 50?

Weren’t we kinder and gentler back in the day, or am I sounding like an old guy?

Social media is a cesspool.

What happened to Be Best?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie