Happy Birthday Brother!

Still so hard to believe but I was thinking about my brother Jeff’s final birthday back in 2008.

The room was packed for a wake for our Uncle and just as the priest was beginning a prayer, Jeff’s cell phone sounded:

His ring chime was John Sterling doing:

“Theeeeee Yankeeeeees Win!”

A ripple of laughter and a number of sighs made it’s way through the gathering, and I instantly knew whose phone it was, of course.

So did everyone else, just a moment later, when Jeff ended the Sterling call by saying, in full voice:

“Yellow!”

The laughter grew as he headed out of the room.

Those are the stray thoughts that cross my mind, often. 

Just moments.

Jeff is so incredibly missed by all of us. He was certainly the glue and he made sure we all stayed talking.

All the morning calls I’ve missed since.

Yet, I don’t have moments of horrific sadness about it anymore, and I don’t acknowledge the anniversary of his passing…

…but I certainly celebrate his birthday.

Today.

And I think about the visits that he does make to my dreams. A lot of times Dad is there too…

…and those are the perfect nights of sleep.

Happy Birthday, Brother!

Love beats death…

…and it isn’t even particularly a close call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie