Getting Old

One of the owners of a client I represent sent me an email on Wednesday wondering if I could be at their office for a 6 a.m. meeting.

“Sorry to go so early, but we want to get to the sites early. I know you’re getting old.”

I thought about the alarm clock going off before 5:00. 

I also considered that I have spent a lot of my life awake before six in the morning in an effort to start my work days.

“I’ll be there,” I answered. “I’m still young.”

And later in the day, I passed a group of kids who were listening to a really old Stones song, ‘Satisfaction.’

“This song is my age,” I said to them as I passed by.

“It’s 80 years old?” One kid asked, and they laughed.

I gave him a two-word response. The second word was ‘off’ and they laughed some more.

Getting old.

Then, we happened to catch the Sabres draft class. They posted the photos of the new hockey players in town.

“Oh my God! Is that kid 12?” Kathy asked.

One of the kids they drafted looked like the neighbor kid.

“He was born in 2005,” Kathy said.

I thought about all I’d been through by 2005!

I was over 40 when he was born! Kids, marriage, college, high school, surgeries, my own illustrious sports career.

He missed 9/11!

“We’re getting old,” Kathy said.

And then to top it off, a detective came on the show we were watching and announced that he was 59 years old.

He looked to be 75 to me.

“I don’t look that old,” I announced.

“Your hair is completely gray,” Kathy mentioned.

“But I have a young face, right?”

She laughed.

Bah!

I’m old.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie