Ridiculous

Every once in awhile a certain Mellencamp line pops into my head. It’s from the song ‘Between A Laugh & A Tear.’

(Just a tremendous song).

And it’s not my favorite line from the song:

“I know there’s a balance, I see it when I swing past.”

It’s the other line:

“Sometimes life is too ridiculous to live.”

A truly cynical line…

…but it pops into my head on days like yesterday.

I woke up considering what the day might look like. I had a 70-minute trip to Salamanca and then a few sites in downtown Buffalo.

Kathy was scheduled for a medical procedure so I was also tasked with checking in on my Mom…

…back to North Collins.

A lot of miles and fighting time because I needed to be home early enough to help around the house.

“No stress about it,” I lectured myself.

And off I went!

The Salamanca and back trip went all right, but then a hard rain landed as I visited the Buffalo sites. 

“All done with procedure,” Kathy texted, “Back home.”

I checked the time…

…tight!

Needed everything to break right.

Turned the car on and the dashboard lit up.

“Low tire pressure!”

Now what?

(Driving on construction sites is a hazard to car tires. I most likely caught a nail).

I got out to see which tire was low. 

Wasn’t much of a mystery. 

A complete blow out!

I hustled back into the site and found an air compressor. One of the workers came out with me. We put the air in and…

…I’d like to say I drove away…

…I didn’t!

“Dude, not sure what you ran over, but that tire is cooked.”

I just stood there, babbling about Triple A.

“Let’s just put the spare on,” he said.

That’s when the Mellencamp line popped into my head.

I didn’t even bother with the time check. We worked together to change the tire. I headed home and swapped cars. I grabbed a couple of gifts for Mom, and made the 20-mile trip some 11 hours after my day started.

(I threw the ball for Ollie before leaving).

“You look tired,” Mom said.

I laughed.

“Between a laugh and a tear. You smile at the mirror as you walk by. Between a laugh and a tear, and there’s no reason to ever stop trying.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie