Millions of People

My favorite kind of movies are the ones that tell true to life stories.

The romantic-comedy and shoot-‘em-up movies are the same story in a new package and I’ll sit through them, but I am most interested in the ones where the characters struggle and survive day-to-day.

We stumbled on one called “A Thousand and One” and while it was sort of good, it left me feeling sad. The characters suffered, just trying to live.

They went to work each day, but didn’t make a lot of money. The landlord treated them like dirt. Their relationships were based on struggle as well.

“So many people living like this,” I said. “Just suffering.”

And I thought about some of the people we know who are battling in such a way…

…hand to mouth living.

Donating their plasma to make the rent.

Eating Ramen.

And it’s not just the forgotten few.

There are millions upon millions of people living in such dread.

A woman on Twitter did an all-caps post about how she was ten cents overdrawn on her checking account because her toll pass deduction came out, and the bank hit her with a $50 charge.

Everything is upside down.

People go to bed sad, worried and depressed.

And before you say, it’s just a movie, look around.

I’m not talking about people who don’t get up and go to work.

Millions do and still they’re suffering.

Just keeping their head above water…

…and it doesn’t have to be this way.

Keep going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie