June 17, 1978 - Father’s Day!

It was a huge day back in 1978.

Ron Guidry was on the mound for the Yankees, and back then, me and my Dad were best of friends on the days when the Gator took the mound.

You see, Guidry was in the process of having the greatest pitching season we’d ever seen. Coming off the Yankees 1977 World Series win we were disappointed in how the ‘78 season was going, but when Guidry pitched, we knew they would most likely win.

There was a huge problem on that warm summer night. The game wasn’t on television (YES was about 20 years off) and the game wouldn’t come in on the clock radio. It kept cutting in and out.

Dad had an idea.

For 3 hours, we sat in the car in the driveway and listened to the game.

The Yankees beat the California Angels that night.

Ron Guidry set the record for most strikeouts by a Yankees pitcher with 18.

Phil Rizzuto was on the call.

45 years later, I recall every minute of those 3 hours. Dad made a couple of runs into the house (when the Yankees were batting), and we ate pretty well.

Salami and cheese.

Cukes and tomatoes. 

I think about that night from time-to-time. My Dad was very good at sharing things with each of his six children.

He would write little notes. We all have copies of those notes.

Dad paid attention to what we were passionate about and he shared in those things.

There were little monetary gifts. When I was away at college he’d send an envelope with a 5 or 10 tucked into a note that was always signed:

F.U.F.

“From u father.”

I try and do some of those things for my boys.

Things are easier now.

I can shoot a text.

Money can be immediately wired to their account.

I even send the ‘F.U.F.’ from time to time.

And the thing about having a Dad and being a Dad is that it’s an every day job.

I dream about my Dad a lot.

I hear his voice in my ear when I need that little push, and once in a while I hear his voice in MY voice when I’m on a job or in a meeting.

Father’s Day.

Have a great day, Daddy’s!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie