80’s Music

Yesterday was the 38th anniversary of the release of ‘Born in the U.S.A.’

That was a record that we listened to so much in that first year that I basically cringe when in hear a song from it.

We wore that record out!

Yet, we were watching ‘Stranger Things’ and the first episode of season 3 was a blast from the soundtrack of those days.

Corey Hart with ‘Never Surrender’. The Stray Cats with the ‘Stray Cat Strut’. The Cars with ‘Moving in Stereo.’

All songs that I know every word to…

…which is crazy because they are songs that I haven’t heard in decades!

How does one remember the lyrics…immediately…as soon as the song starts playing?

And of course, I sound like an old bastard when I talk about how music, back in my day, was way better than anything that is being made now.

As for ‘Born in the U.S.A.’ it is actually a pretty down record, lyrically, that was made into a rock album because of the happy music of the E-Street Band.

The song, ‘Born in the U.S.A. is a major protest song that details a man coming home from Viet Nam to find that he just doesn’t fit in.

When the song is played acoustically it paints a bleak picture, but that summer, it was an anthem about patriotism.

Bruce was seen as an American icon, and many of his fans back then feel as if he turned on them.

He hasn’t changed at all.

Yet, nothing works better as a time capsule than music.

‘Cold as Ice’ by Foreigner takes me back to walking across a baseball field, talking to an old buddy Tony because he had the song blaring out of a boom box.

‘I Cant’t Fight This Feeling’ by REO Speedwagon made me think of a pretty young girl who loved that song.

‘Who Can it Be Now?’ By Men at Work made me think of my buddy Jeff and riding in his car to the golf course…

…40 years ago.

Our music WAS better!

Then I heard ‘Year of the Cat’ by Al Stewart.

It was a hit in 1976!

Was being played on the radio in 2022.

Not only did I know all the words, I also marveled at the staying power of writing a song that people like to hear.

No way did Al Stewart, back nearly a half a century ago, imagine that his song would last so long.

Does he ever listen to it, and think, damn, they still like it.

Will the rap songs of today be played in 2065?

I have my doubts.

More likely the people will be listening to ‘Dancing in the Dark.’

Or pumping their fists to the chorus of ‘Born in the U.S.A.’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie