World Series

Jorge Soler became the first person ever to hit a first inning home run as the first batter in the first game of the World Series.

As a kid I was all in on checking stats in World Series games. The Yankees lost to the Pirates in the 1960 World Series on a homer and I wasn’t alive for that but man, I felt the pain of that loss.

As a kid, the Orioles were good, the A’s were great and so were the Reds.

Gun to my head and I can name 90% of the players on all those teams and could give you the batting order.

Then came the ‘77 and ‘78 Yankees.

Reggie hit those 3 homers in game 6 to end the series on my 13th birthday - game 6 was played on October 18th that year.

Game 1 was last night on the 26th. 

November baseball.

Too late!

And same gun to my head and I can probably give you all the World Series winners from 1969 through 2020.

I didn’t always watch each game.

I certainly didn’t catch a single pitch of the Red Sux wins. Didn’t miss a pitch of any of the Yankees wins - and there were 7 wins out of 10 appearances since 1969.

My favorite World Series ever during those times would have to be the Yankees over the Braves in 1996.

They hadn’t been there since 1981. I was just happy that they were there.

The Braves had Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. They took a two game lead just battering the Yankees in New York.

As they headed to Atlanta for games 3 through 5 I was on a ledge, ready to jump…

…I never saw the 4-game win streak coming.

Girardi hit a huge triple in game 6 and the stadium crowd went absolutely crazy.

I did too.

Now, I’m rooting for the Braves because the Astros cheated to win a few years back.

I haven’t forgiven them because those players didn’t pay the price and never truly apologized.

Their rallying cry has been:

“Get over it!”

Nah!

Braves in six.

But I also hate the tomahawk chop.

(That’s gotta’ go).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie