Fifty-Seven

It’s all so weird.

When you’re a child you think that everyone is an old man.

Fifty-seven seemed ancient!

I’m officially that age now, and the funny thing about getting there is that things don’t change much in your own mind.

I still FEEL young, mentally, but of course there is a physical toll.

We played golf yesterday and it was ‘cart path only’ so there was a lot of walking.

I didn’t have any problems swinging the club, but my back was stiff.

A couple of hours later, I stood up suddenly after watching a show, and the first few steps were troublesome.

“How do you even play?” Kathy asked.

“I don’t feel it out there.”

And it’s all good if it stays that way. In some ways I feel stronger than when I was younger.

The biggest differences in being 57 as opposed to being 27:

1). I sleep less. 

“Don’t you ever just turn over and go back to sleep after you open your eyes?” Kathy asked.

Nope! If I have a thought or so about what’s coming up that day, I get up. No sense in trying to fight it.

2). I eat less.

I’m a little disappointed. I went to my sister’s wedding celebration and the food was amazing. I couldn’t eat like a slob! We use half the amount of pasta that we used to use. There’s a steak left from Saturday!

3). My back hurts.

The doc explained that herniated discs in a person past middle aged is as common as hair falling out. So, there will be bad days as opposed to watching my sons jump and run and fall down and bounce right up.

4). People I know die.

The more people you know the more you hear about work friends and friends of my parents getting sick and not getting better. 

That’s the worst part of getting older, and there’s a tickle in the back of my mind, thinking, “I may be approaching the on-deck circle.”

5). Little things matter less.

I’ll never again be absolutely devastated by a sports team losing. When people bicker or gossip, I don’t care. I hardly ever listen to it. Political garbage? I don’t have time for it. It doesn’t mean a damn thing. 

6). Memories.

The longer you linger, the more you remember. It’s been a fun ride, and I’ve been blessed with a great family and super friends. I laugh about a whole bunch that’s happened along the way. Life should be fun. I’ve had my share. Will have some more.

7). I worry WAY more.

I have always been guilty of thinking I can control the world around me. As the kids have grown older, I’ve become more of a mother hen. Yet, the greatest lesson of my life is that I can’t force people to do what I think they should do. So I worry about the decisions that they make. I worry about my Mom and my friends and my siblings. I didn’t worry quite so much at 27.

8). I pee more.

There was a line in History of the World where a man goes to the doctor and says, “Doc, I can’t piss.” The doctor says, “How old are you?”

The man answers that he’s 80.

“You’ve pissed enough,” the doctor answers.

I definitely piss more now.

And that’s about it.

We can all check in 30 years from now as I explain the fundamental difference between 57 and 87.

I hope everyone is still here.

I know I’ll worry about it!

Happy Birthday to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie