Central Time Zone

I’m back watching baseball after saying that I was done for the year.

I was in the Central Time Zone so the games started early. I told a couple of buddies that listening to baseball games on the radio while driving through Kansas is as exciting as it gets.

But man, I thought about the earliest playoffs I recall. The Orioles and Pirates in the World Series and the Mets against the A’s.

“Who’s pitching?” Is always the biggest question before a game begins.

Now it doesn’t matter!

The Giants starter got yanked in the 2nd inning!

But, this isn’t just a baseball blog!

It’s about the central time zone.

The big sky!

The huge storms that come out of nowhere.

I didn’t wear a jacket even though I left Buffalo at 5 a.m. 

I got to the rental car place and the guy, noting my driver’s license, said, ‘Man, those Bills opened a can of whoop ass on my Chiefs.”

The guy was smiling, but then he sent me outside to wait for the attendant and I stood there for twenty minutes in 48 degree weather as the winds whipped up.

I wondered if he was paying me back for Josh bitch-slapping Mahommes.

I covered about 700 miles of Kansas highway to get to all the jobs.

Just looking around it appeared to me that there are so many poor people. Broken-down homes. Busted up cars. And signs about freedom.

“My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.”

That was my favorite written sign.

People put those signs up in their yards.

I thought about Bezos and Musk and their race to be the richest man in the world.

$140 billion dollars.

One of the two is worth that much.

Those are the guys getting tax breaks.

That’s so wrong when you see all the poverty.

I’m not saying they have to distribute their money, but man, they should contribute. Someone worth that doesn’t need tax incentives.

I watched men herd cattle and other men work the fields as I drove along.

Everyone has a pickup.

All of them have bumper stickers.

You can go a long, long while without seeing a store.

There’s a lot of time to think.

About why starting pitchers don’t go longer in baseball playoff games.

I went out to dinner.

Ordered way too much food!

Brought it back to the hotel room because I didn’t want to venture out too much in a land where vaccines are seen as an attack on individual rights, and where masks are stupid.

“Jesus will save me!” One guy wrote on his barn.

I hope He does.

It’s good to be heading home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie