Maid

The limited series on Netflix, ‘The Maid’ is well done and although I don’t know who the actors or the actresses are for the most part, the story moves pretty well and is interesting.

But I was saddened by it.

The maid is barely keeping her head above water. She needs to dig through her car to find change to put $4 of gas in her car.

It dawned on me that there are millions of Americans, willing to work, who are in a battle for survival.

Every day.

And it leads to even more bad decisions and days and nights of pain.

That’s why it bothers me so much when the breaks of the game go to the rich.

“Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king.”

There are people who are in the exact position of that maid who vote against the agenda that might possibly help them in the long run.

This is a land of promise and opportunity and of course we shame ourselves to watch people live in such a manner.

There’s a scene where she passes out at work because she hasn’t eaten a thing all day because she doesn’t have the $5.00 to get a convenience store sandwich.

I won’t even bore you with the statistics on children living in poverty who need to go to school so that they have at least a decent meal a day.

I’m ashamed of that.

Drive around the rural areas.

There’s too much poverty.

Very often, the cycle isn’t broken. There’s another generation of the same spinning the wheels life coming.

I wonder how it gets fixed.

We throw billions at the military without debate.

Laws are placed on the table that might help and suddenly there’s deep concern about debt.

I’m like millions of others…

…I refuse to think too much about it…

…because it’s depressing.

Know who it’s more depressing for?

The people stuck living without hope of ever being prosperous.

It’s a daily fight for survival.

God give them the strength to fight on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie