Ransom

Let me preface this by saying that the cat leaves the house if the doors are left open even a little.

Three times on Saturday I was forced to climb down the ravine behind our house and retrieve Miller.

“What’s wrong with the door?” Kathy asked (she had left it open the last time).

“It’s smarter than most of the people who live here,” I answered.

So, with that in mind we watched Dateline and it was about a man who received a call to let him know that his wife had been kidnapped and that he needed to produce $50,000 or she would be killed.

Throughout the next day, a Saturday, the wife sends texts and makes calls leading the poor husband all around town for a money drop.

“There’s no way,” I said.

“What?” Kathy asked. “You wouldn’t pay the ransom?”

“I don’t know about that,” I said, “But I sure as shit wouldn’t be driving all around town waiting for instructions.”

Kathy laughed.

“Oh yeah, you’d be done. You’d be yelling, ‘I got work to do! Keep her.’”

And to be honest, the money certainly wouldn’t be the problem.

It’s all about knowing what the hell is going on.

I need to have the plan explained to me and I have to have some control of some of it.

There’s zero doubt that I would have bailed on all of it just a few calls or texts in.

The text I might send would probably read something like this:

“The money’s in the mailbox. 

Just leave her in the driveway. 

And don’t open the front door.

Or the cat will get out.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie