Rules

So some rules for living that I’ve learned along the way. 

In all honesty, I saw this written out on a sign, but I agree.

1). Let it Go - this is a big one. Don’t hang on to the things that have hurt you. Get rid of the people who did it, if you must, but if you can’t, forgive them. 

It took me a little while to learn this, but my life is better for having been able to pull it off.

2). Ignore the Doubters - For some reason, people sometimes go out of their way to tell you what you can’t do. Thankfully, somehow, my parents were able to grace us all with a fair amount of self-confidence. 

I remember writing “House of Miracles” as I started interviewing a Mom who had a son who was terminally ill, I thought, “I can’t do this.”

That lasted 10 seconds.

3). Give it Time - “This too shall pass.” I’ve often told myself that many times through the years, but I also learned that sometimes the time that you have to give it is...A LOT OF TIME! 

And still, it never all goes away, but you have to learn to live with what you can’t rise above. 

There’s a price to pay for just living. 

Pay it. 

Don’t ever quit. 

It’ll pass.

4). Don’t Compare yourself to others.

Best advice column: 

Be better than the person you were yesterday. 

I heard that early on in life and liked it. I set a higher standard for myself than anyone ever has. 

I’m still trying to get better.

5). Stay Calm - I must admit that this is my weakest of all these little tidbits.

I have a tendency to go off the handle from time to time, but I’m much better than when I was younger. 

I don’t throw many golf clubs. 

I don’t yell as often as I did back when.

Still want to learn how to count to ten and then relax.

6). Smile! 😀- There are days when I don’t feel great. 

I’ll often snap out of it by doing my best to think up a skit or two and then sharing it with others. 

All day long. 

I know a couple of guys who are ALWAYS happy.

I’m not.

But I seek out the happy guys, and I try to smile.

7) You

You’re the one who will dictate how your mood is each day.

Some days it’s harder to snap out of it than other days.

Some days you won’t win.

Shake it off!

Dwelling on the misery makes you miserable.

Sounds easy, right?

Which ones are you good at?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie