My Friend Barb

My buddy Chris lost his Mom yesterday, and I immediately remembered so many moments.

Life is made up of moments that stand out in the face of routine, work and drudgery.

1). The first one I thought of was a night when I was sick. The head cold was destroying me and I had a sore throat, was tired and my voice was shot. 

Chris had invited me out for dinner and I went, with a design on bugging out early. Half the reason I went was because Barb and Eddie were going to be there.

We had dinner and Chris suggested drinks. I tried to beg off. Barb and I were talking about our favorite authors. She ordered me a drink. A warm brandy of some sort.

It was the best cold I ever had.

By the time I left, I felt great.

2). One day, Chris called me. “My Mom has some books for you.”

We headed over and I left with about 50 books stuffed into a bag. We talked about our favorite authors again.

3). Every single time I wrote a book I made sure that Barb got one of the first copies. She tried to pay me each time. “Your book report is what you owe me.”

She always did the book report!

4). Kathy and I joined Chris in Florida one winter. We rented a hotel just around the corner from where Barb & Eddie lived. When we played golf, Kathy and Barb hung out.

“Oh no,” Kathy said, when I mentioned that Barb was sick. “Such a loving, caring, wonderful woman.”

One other thing on that trip, as we finished our round, Eddie led me and Chris into the garage where he removed a ceiling tile to produce a bottle and shot glasses.

“I gotta keep my little bar quiet,” Eddie said.

We did our shots and went back into the house. Barb called me over and whispered, “He give you a shot from his stash?” 

I laughed.

She’d known. Let him keep his secret.

5). Barb loved, loved, loved that my kids named our cat, “Miller.”

More than ten times she told me that my friendship with her son made her happy.

That’s how good Moms feel.

6). Years ago, I received a package from Barb and Eddie. 

The package was stuffed with articles on the Yankees, golf and writing. Eddie would clip articles to send to me.

He also included a book by Raymond Chandler - from 1943! - with the message about it being a great mystery.

How I wish I would’ve read that book immediately.

Instead, I waited to read it, but as I did, I realized that I wanted to write a mystery.

Just a couple of week’s ago I wrote the ‘Author’s Note’ thanking Barb and Eddie.

I couldn’t wait for her to see that note...

...and now she won’t see it in print.

But, that’s the thing about connections.

I feel like Barb and Eddie will know.

She will be missed.

A life well lived.

Rest In Peace, Barb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie