498 Hours

That’s how much time is left until Inaguration minute.

I know because I follow along on this guy’s Twitter account. Since the election he has counted down the hours until Joey Bides is sworn in.

I’ve always thought:

“Don’t wish time away,” when I’ve heard someone wishing time away.

In the end, we all just want one more minute.

I was checking out at a grocery store on Christmas Eve. The girl at the register was distant.

“How’s your day going?” I asked.

She laughed.

“I got 15 minutes to go...feels like I won’t make it.”

“I hope you make it,” I said.

She gave me a weird look.

Don’t even give a minute back.

And of course I’ve watched the clock and rooted for the second hand to move faster...

...think defensive driver school...

...or Palm Sunday Mass when you were a kid.

And every kid ever has uttered these words:

“Dad, are we almost there?”

I don’t know. I’m in my usual reflective, end of year place.

Vowing to stay calm.

(We’ll discuss resolutions tomorrow)

But less than 500 hours away until the sun sets on a one-term presidency.

Hurry up, sundown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie